Chittlin's and Chopsticks

Writer and mother, Terris McMahan Grimes, the Mother From Another Continent, an her friends share their slighty off kilter parenting views and their takes on a whole lot of other things.

Sunday, April 22, 2007

Slurs: The Fable









There once was a very nice lady who lived next door to a young couple who held one another in very high regard, in fact, you could say they were very much in love.

One spring day the nice lady was in her backyard weeding her petunias and the couple next door was in their backyard cleaning their pool. The nice lady overheard one of them say to the other, “Please hand me that gizmo over there, Babycakes.” The other replied, “Sure thing, Suga Booga.”

The next day the nice lady was walking her dog, when she passed the couple next door. As the nice lady not only was nice, but was also exceedingly polite, without a bigoted bone in her body, she nodded and said, “Good morning, Suga Booga. Beautiful day isn’t it, Babycakes?”

The couple next door did not return the nice lady’s greeting. They stared at her until she turned the corner, then they went directly to the Human Rights Commission and filed a complaint charging the nice lady with making slurs based on their ethnicity, race, gender, and sexual orientation.

The moral of this story is …


Mother Needs a Moral for this Story

Write the moral to this fable and win a copy of Mother's anthology, Shades of Black. Three winners will be chosen. Contest ends when Beltane begins.

Labels: , , ,

8 Comments:

At 4/23/2007 7:43 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

People are better off laughing and hugging.

 
At 4/23/2007 12:06 PM , Blogger Mother said...

Thank you, pearl. I like your moral.

 
At 4/24/2007 12:10 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

What's good for the goose isn't always good for the gander

My grandfather once saw me dressed in business-casual attire. He called me out on it. I replied that my white colleages were all dressed in business casual. He pointed out that I (Black man) would never be able to get away with the same stuff as my white colleagues. I never wore business casual to work any longer. Later I became the youngest executive in the nation within my federal agency. Your fairy tale story reminded me of that day with my grandfather. Thanx!

peace, Villager

 
At 4/24/2007 12:13 PM , Blogger Mother said...

What a wonderful grandfather! I envy you. And you're welcome.

I like your moral!

 
At 4/24/2007 11:32 PM , Blogger Gail said...

In this case, I would have to say "Familiarity breeds contempt." ;)

 
At 4/25/2007 2:22 PM , Blogger Mother said...

Indeed, it does! Thanks, Firefly.

 
At 4/25/2007 5:18 PM , Blogger credo said...

Because it's okay for some folks to say something to each other does not mean its okay for others to repeat it. No matter how old or nice that other person may be, is what I'm thinking.

This was hard for me.

 
At 4/25/2007 7:51 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

The moral is:
"Introduce yourself to your neighbors when they move in. Don't wait until they've already built a fence and a petunia garden."

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

More blogs about mother from another continent.