Chittlin's and Chopsticks

Writer and mother, Terris McMahan Grimes, the Mother From Another Continent, an her friends share their slighty off kilter parenting views and their takes on a whole lot of other things.

Sunday, March 11, 2007

This is My Brain on Motherhood


I've been invited to blog by "Mother" on her site Chittlin's and Chopsticks. The invitation couldn't have come at a better time because I woke up this morning thinking about motherhood. Okay, I wake up most mornings thinking about my kids so that wasn't a big stretch. This morning I was thinking about washing my hair and the fact that I'm having problems with my right arm.

I asked my husband to wash it for me and he immediately made excuses. He's usually pretty good about helping me with things, but I understood his refusal. You see, in years past, that whole "help me wash my hair," was--how can I put this delicately--a coded foreplay invitation. His refusal was based on the fact that he was sorting clothes to wash. The only thing on his mind was his work wardrobe. I could have explained that I really needed help but the thought sounded like too much effort when I ran it past my brain.

By the way, I have a unique relationship with the sentient being I call my brain. It a fun place that goes off in myriad directions and paths without any input from me. I know I've sounded crazy or arrogant trying to explain to people that I like the way my brain thinks. It's not that at all because I have no control over it. Like a toddler it's forever doing and saying things that I didn't expect, couldn't have anticipated, and often find embarrassingly "cute."

Anyway, the brain said don't explain to husband just go find somebody else to help you. I said, "yes, master," and off I went. I have two kids at home right now, our 25 year old son, Geoffrey and our 27 year old daughter, Regina. Geoff is a twin, his brother lives in Austin, Texas. If any mother has more helpful, wonderful, sons I haven't met them.

Geoff's bedroom door was open and he was putting on a shirt over his tee shirt. I asked him. He said he was on his way to a Kings basketball game, but he would do it when he comes home. He kissed me and took his leave.

I hadn't seen my daughter yet this morning. It was time to confer with the brain. Regina is a wonderful child too. Anybody that likes her will tell you she has a very giving heart. But people never explain a person's heart unless it's something the casual observer can't see. Brain told me to wait and see what kind of mood she was in first. She just appeared to let her puppy outside. I asked, she said yes. She never once looked at my hair like she was wondering how to wash the snakes.

Aren't kids great? I love motherhood.


5 Comments:

At 3/12/2007 2:34 PM , Blogger Mother said...

Jackie,

You are the best mother I know. Speaking of your brain, at our house we refer to incredible leaps in logic as "Jackie-isms."

 
At 3/13/2007 4:39 AM , Blogger Fredric said...

i enjoy the blog and have it in my rss.

along the lines of 'mothers and daughters' and their special relationships, i wanted to highlight a story i found yesterday about a young girl, 14, who is imprisoned in texas for 'shoving a hall monitor'.

it's a case of racism, classicism, and bigotry. please publicize and email the governor at his website.

you can find out more at http://www.ybpguide.com/2007/03/13/paris-texas-in-plain-view/. it takes two secs to fill in a form!

 
At 3/13/2007 2:37 PM , Blogger Mother said...

Thank you Fredric for the compliment!

Also, thanks for letting me know about the Texas case. I'll look into it.

By the way, "My Brain on Motherhood" was written by Chittlins and Chopsticks newest mother blogger, Jackie. Make sure you tell her welcome.

 
At 1/29/2013 5:43 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Enjoyed your post, it's very interesting. Nice to read something different as well!

Have problems in billing? Visit us:
medical billing companies in Georgia
Medical professionals' leading billing software

 
At 4/16/2014 11:10 AM , Blogger Eddzie said...

I would like to know of cases like this more often. Thank you for sharing.
Check this out too:
seeds

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

More blogs about mother from another continent.