Chittlin's and Chopsticks

Writer and mother, Terris McMahan Grimes, the Mother From Another Continent, an her friends share their slighty off kilter parenting views and their takes on a whole lot of other things.

Monday, April 23, 2007

Calling All Wizards!



I was reared Catholic. I received my first communion in a little white bridal dress. I did the confirmation thing. I was devout. Today, I consider Antioch Progressive Baptist Church, here in Sacramento, my home church. We held my mother’s funeral in our family parish, at St. Joseph/St. Andrews Catholic Church, in Oakland, California. The American Friends have always been my friends. My boyfriend is a Buddhist.

Now, I’m a Catholic/Baptist/Quaker/Buddhist on my way to becoming a secular humanist.

Don’t get the wrong idea. I’m a wonderfully, well adjusted, Boomer Mama/Air Mom, of African ancestry with the good fortune of having been born in Tucker, Arkansas yet reared in California—at least that’s what my therapist says, minus the back-story.

If my variegated religious background has taught me one thing, it is how to deal with evil. You pray, anoint, fast, burn stuff, sacrifice things, read ancient texts, dress in certain ways, eat some stuff/avoid other stuff, dance, sing, believe…I could go on, but I’m sure you get the idea.

A great evil has befallen our land. Our children are being gunned down in the streets, in their front yards, at their houses of worship, in their universities, and on foreign soil. Babies are dying in Mississippi because it is cheaper to let them die than provide prenatal care for mothers.

And an evil, death worshiping, cabal, dressed in the flesh bags bought on the cheap from old men weak enough and evil enough to trade their own skins for a bit of power, has taken over this country and most of the world. Folks, we are in great peril. The fate of the planet is at stake.

I’m putting a call out to wizards—real ones, not you Dungeon and Dragons types—the kind Michael Gruber writes about in, Tropic of Night, because the evil in the Whitehouse is so great only the worlds greatest wizard can take it on now. And I don’t mean the Washington Wizards, unless they have some very strong mojo.

You may scoff, but enough of you believed in the bush baby to elect him, not once but twice, so keep your condescending smugness to yourselves. I believe in a lot of things unseen, like Social Security, liberty and justice for all, and fat burning pills.

If you know a wizard, please have it get in touch with me—pronto!





Labels: , , ,

7 Comments:

At 4/24/2007 12:06 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

mother - How bad must John Kerry and Al Gore feel when they realize that they lost elections to the person who is arguably the worst president in the history of our nation?

peace, Villager

 
At 4/24/2007 12:10 PM , Blogger Mother said...

Peace to you, too. Peace is all I want.

 
At 4/25/2007 9:09 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

Well written Mother,
I am a wizard, and I strongly support the peace cause. Unfortunately I do not have the power to confront the enormous entity that creates war. I am glad to see many people like yourself are getting their voice out there for peace. Perhaps the people who fight, murder and destroy in the name of democracy will notice soon enough that THE PEOPLE do not want anymore war. Their is no such thing as a good war, nor a bad peace!
Much love,
David Levasseur(plusultra)

 
At 4/25/2007 2:21 PM , Blogger Mother said...

David,
Thank you for your response. I am pleased to meet you. I must say, I am disappointed there is nothing you can do. Excuse my ignorance, but what if all the wizards joined forces?
Peace,
Mother

 
At 10/09/2018 7:30 AM , Blogger mia taylor said...

Amazing, Thanks for sharing this information.
Regards,
Buy online abortion pill kit

 
At 8/11/2021 10:16 PM , Anonymous Mtp Kit Online said...

Nice Post!
If you have unwanted pregnancy issue then you can buy abortion pill online an terminate your pregnancy at home...

 
At 11/30/2021 1:34 AM , Blogger Safeabortionrx said...

Nice Post!
If you have unwanted pregnancy issue then you can Buy Abortion Pills Online an terminate your pregnancy at home.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

More blogs about mother from another continent.