Chittlin's and Chopsticks

Writer and mother, Terris McMahan Grimes, the Mother From Another Continent, an her friends share their slighty off kilter parenting views and their takes on a whole lot of other things.

Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Monkeys, Puppies, and Pocketbooks

Three girls suspended from school for uttering the V-word. VAGINA. Come on, now.

When my friend, Em, told me about this, my first thought was this must be another of those urban legends. You know, like the one that claims a certain fried chicken place puts a male contraceptive in its batter to keep the black birth rate down.

But, no, I looked it up myself. The Onion didn’t make this one up. It really happened. Three sixteen year-old-girls participating in a literary forum at John Jay High School in New York state read a passage from "The Vagina Monologues" and actually used that most powerful word.


Incensed, my friend Em demanded, "What were the girls suppose to call it, my thing-a-ma-gig, my good girl, the mysterious delta of my love, or sing-song it like Mary Poppins-- one of my boyfriend's favorite things?"

We didn’t have that problem when I was a wee thing in Tucker, Arkansas. Well-raised, little, Negro children knew boys peed from their puppies, girls from their monkeys, and their mama’s had a big ole pocket book to do whatever she had to do.

Get some burqas for those girls, and send them down to Tucker to spend some time with my kinfolk.

Labels: , , , , , ,

7 Comments:

At 3/13/2007 11:28 AM , Blogger Dave J. said...

Hard to believe people are so afraid of their own bodies.

 
At 3/13/2007 2:33 PM , Blogger Mother said...

Yes, it is Dave. What do they do in biology?

When I worked for the State, a person in a social work type of classification asked me to remove the "oral" from a report (which had nothing to do with sex) because it made her uneasy.

 
At 3/14/2007 8:30 AM , Blogger Dave J. said...

You know, if that person didn't have a lewd mind, such that their main association with that word was sex based... you know?

It's as if the people who cry out the loudest for censorship, are the people having the most controversial thoughts...dealing with the very thing(s) they want censored!

This is not sounding right, hard to verbalize this concept.

 
At 3/16/2007 5:44 PM , Blogger notfearingchange said...

Let us bind our lips to our lives.
Let us bind our lips to literature.
Let us bind our lips as we bind our freedoms.
We are bound.
And now,
And now there is no one to pass on history.
And now there is no future.
And now we die.

 
At 3/18/2007 12:40 PM , Blogger Mother said...

notfearingcharge, are you the author of that wonderful and very timely piece of poetry?

 
At 1/10/2011 1:41 AM , Anonymous Scott said...

What an astounding article…great… something as amazing as this never crossed my mind…..Thumbs about to your curiosity!!! Congratulations for your achievements, I really hope to see more such articles in the future.

Apcalis Oral Jelly

 
At 8/16/2012 1:18 AM , Blogger ashishmaihu said...

I afresh came beyond your blog and apprehend this. I don’t apperceive what to say except that I accept enjoyed this article, Nice blog.modern furniture for living room

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

More blogs about mother from another continent.